Victim entitled to file appeal without leave of the Court against accused's acquittal, Delhi HC

Aditi Singh April 17 2019
criminal appeal

Reiterating a decision of the Supreme Court, the Delhi High Court has stated that a victim of an offence or his/her legal heirs and guardian are entitled to challenge an order of acquittal or conviction for a lesser offence or inadequate compensation under Section 372 of Criminal Procedure Code, by way of a ‘Criminal Appeal’ before it. Such victim need not file 'Criminal Leave Petition'.

Whenever a victim of an offence files a 'criminal leave petition', the same shall be treated as 'criminal appeal' by the . . .

This content is restricted to subscribers