Leprosy omitted as a ground for Divorce, Personal Laws (Amendment) Act, 2019 notifiedFebruary 22 2019
Leprosy cannot be a ground for divorce anymore. The Government of India has notified the Personal Laws (Amendment) Act, 2019. The Act omits leprosy as a ground for divorce from various statutes governing marriage in India.
The following are the statutes and the provisions deleted.
- Divorce Act, 1869 - In section 10, in sub-section (1), clause (iv) is omitted.
- Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act, 1939 - In section 2, in ground (vi), the words "leprosy or" is omitted. This content is restricted to subscribers
- One year of unrestrcited access to previous interviews, columns and articles
- One year access to all archival material
- Access to all Bar & Bench reports