Fellowship Opportunity: The CLPR Equality FellowshipDecember 18 2018
The Centre for Law and Policy Research (CLPR) has launched the CLPR Equality Fellowship, as part of its work in addressing intersectional discrimination across caste, gender, sexuality, disability and minorities.
The CLPR Equality Fellowship is a paid, two-year opportunity which will be awarded to 6 young lawyers keen to pursue the practice of public interest law on a full-time basis. This opportunity is based in Bangalore with frequent travel and commences on February 1st, 2019.
CLPR will provide the Equality Fellows with training and support necessary to make an impact on the quality and delivery of legal services to marginalised communities. Young lawyers, who are motivated and committed to working with equality and anti-discrimination law are invited to apply for the Fellowship. Interested persons may apply for the same by December 30, 5 pm [IST].
The Fellowship provides opportunities to engage in litigation and advocacy in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Fellows will be working with communities facing discrimination on the basis of caste, gender, disability, sexuality, gender identity and minority status.
This work will also include enhancing the implementation of various equality laws including: The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 (SC/ST Act), The Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 (PCRA), The Employment of Manual Scavengers and Construction of Dry Latrines (Prohibition) Act, 1993 (The Manual Scavengers Act), The Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 2016 and others.
- Successful candidates will be young, talented lawyers who demonstrate a strong interest in rights-based advocacy and a commitment to public interest law
- Law graduates with an LLB degree who have a minimum of 2 years of litigation experience
- Applicants should be registered and enrolled with the Bar Council of India
- Should have a working knowledge of either Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam or Tamil
- Should have excellent writing and drafting skills
- CLPR is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages persons from SC/ST backgrounds, minority religions, LGBTQI+ persons and persons with disability to apply
Applicants must submit:
- A signed and completed CLPR Equality Fellowship Application Form
- Two (2) writing samples (published articles, essays, blog posts) between 500-2000 words
- Applications to be submitted by December 30, 2018, 5.00 PM IST (deadline extended)
Please combine all attachments in a single PDF file labelled with “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name].” Email the PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “[Your Name]- Equality Fellowship Application”
Download the CLPR Equality Fellowship Application Form here.
With a premium account you get:
- One year of unrestrcited access to previous interviews, columns and articles
- One year access to all archival material
- Access to all Bar & Bench reports