Call for Papers: NLIU-Trilegal Summit on Corporate & Commercial Laws, 2018June 2 2018
The Centre for Business and Commercial Laws of the National Law Institute University (NLIU), Bhopal, in collaboration with Trilegal, is organizing the annual NLIU-Trilegal Summit on Corporate and Commercial Laws on 24th and 25th of August, 2018.
Original submissions have been invited to present at the Summit. Submissions can be made in the form of an article or essay, falling within the broad contours of the theme, Corporate and Commercial laws.
Authors pursuing LL.B. (Hons) / LL.B. / LL.M. from any recognized university is eligible to participate in the Summit.
Fifteen paper presentations in total will be selected for presentation at the summit, after an intense review procedure to be conducted jointly by CBCL and Trilegal. The participants may adopt any suitable means for presenting the papers including audio-visual aids, PowerPoint presentations etc.
The fifteen selected manuscripts shall be published in a commemorative book. The top two presentations in both categories will be conferred with rewards. The presenters at the Summit shall also receive a certificate acknowledging their participation as a delegate.
Additionally, for the very first time, the Summit shall include a counselling course conducted by partners from Trilegal, exclusively for the shortlisted participants. During the session, the participants can look forward to key career advice from noted corporate practitioners, a rare opportunity to be taught directly by the partners and invaluable networking opportunities.
The following comprises an indicative list of relevant sub-themes for the paper submissions:
1. Corporate Governance in India
2. Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Inbound and outbound mergers
- Analysis of landmark mergers and forecasting trends for future M&A activity
- M&A activity in key sectors
3. Foreign Investment (Private Equity/Venture Capital and Debt Instruments)
- Emerging forms of investment such as REITs and InvITs
- Liberalisation of existing investment regime (such as single and multi-brand retail, changes to FPI regime)
- Analysis of statutory changes (e.g. new FEMA 20)
4. Banking and Insolvency Law
- Rise of Non-Performing Assets in the economy
- Working of IBC and emerging trends
- Debt restructuring in India
- Introduction of P2P Lending in India
5. Securities Law
- Cross-Listing of Stock Exchanges
- Rise of IPOs in niche sectors such as insurance companies, banks
- Trend of failure of IPOs in Indian market
- Emerging trends in white collar crime (legal developments and recent examples in insider trading)
- Regulatory overhaul of certain segments such as derivatives, FPIs
6. Competition Law
- Exemptions and Filing Norms for Mergers and Amalgamations
- Antitrust aspects in the acquisition of Financially distressed companies
- Competition Law in a Digitized Economy - Comparative analysis of Competition Law in India and foreign jurisdictions
- Economic theories and evidence in Competition Law
7. Emerging contemporary legal issues related to -
- Technologies such as Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies and Initial Coin Offerings
- Data Privacy aspects of financial information
The above areas of law and sub-themes are indicative in nature. The participants are free to choose an inter-disciplinary topic involving one or more of the above areas of law or sub-themes, provided that it fits within the contours of the theme of the Summit.
Submissions can be made under the following categories:
- Articles: Manuscripts under this category should be 4000-6000 words long dealing with an issue in-depth and demonstrating a comparatively higher level of analysis. Co-authorship of papers (maximum two) among individuals of same or different institutions is permissible.
- Essays: Manuscripts being submitted under this category should either cover a recent development or be issue-specific within the word limit of 2000 to 3000 words. Co-authorship is not permissible.
The word limit is exclusive of footnotes. Strict adherence to the word limit is highly prescribed.
Citations must conform to standards laid down in the Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (20th, 2015). Submissions must use only footnotes as a form of citation. Substantive footnoting is permissible.
The following format must be adhered to –
- Title: Times New Roman, size-15, Bold, 2.0 line spacing, centre-aligned.
- Abstract: Times New Roman, size-11, Italicized, 1.5 line spacing, justified, Margins of 2.0.
- Main Body: Times New Roman, size-12, 1.15 line spacing, justified.
- Heading: Times New Roman, size-14, Bold, 1.5 line spacing, centre-aligned.
- Sub-headings: Times New Roman, size-13, Italicized, 1.15 line spacing, centre-aligned.
- Footnotes: Times New Roman, size-10, 1.0 line spacing, justified.
- Margins of one inch (2.54 cm) on all the four sides.
The submission must be accompanied with a covering letter including author(s) name, email id, mobile number and college name. Submissions must only be in electronic form sent via email. All submissions must be in .doc or .docx format and must contain an abstract of 250-300 words exclusive of the word limit.
Deadline: All papers must be submitted on or before 10 July 2018 (11.59 pm).
E-mails for submission and any other clarifications should be sent to - email@example.com.
The email must contain the following documents, in addition to the manuscript and personal details and affiliation of the author(s) –
- An originality statement, signed by the author(s), declaring that the manuscript is the original work of the author(s);
- A copyright statement, signed by the author(s), whereby the author(s) agrees that the copyright in the work shall vest with CBCL.
Authors whose papers are selected for presentation in the Summit shall be required to pay an amount of INR 1000 for single author entries and INR 1500 for co-authored entries. The Centre shall provide accommodation to all the participants.
For further details, contact:
- Arshia Verma (Convenor, CBCL): +91 7049729766
- Rohan Kohli (Co-convenor, CBCL): +91 9617950534
- Shounak Banerjee (Secretary, CBCL): +91 9911425727
Read Summit Brochure below:
With a premium account you get:
- One year of unrestrcited access to previous interviews, columns and articles
- One year access to all archival material
- Access to all Bar & Bench reports